Boxwood seeds...

Hello,

I'd like to add Boxwood (preferrably Green Velvet) along 120 feet along the front of my property but to purchase these plants is cost prohibitive. As I grow my vegetables from seed, I was hoping to do the same with the Green Velvet but I can't find any Boxwood seeds anywhere (well...there is one - Hirt Nursery - but I think that's for the common Boxwood). Can these seeds be purchased or is there another option that's relatively inexpensive?

Thank you very much in advance,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, there is a much better option. Boxwood is difficult to grow from seed. You can purchase one or two shrubs of the named variety you want and take cuttings. That way you'll have the features you desire of the named variety. Here's how to do this.
    http://www.boxwoodsociety.org/boxwood_propagation.htm

This site has some good pics and explains how to care for your cuttings as they root and grow.
    http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/...ort/g06560.htm

I'm sure you realize after reading the first site, it will be 2 to 3 months before your cuttings root, so be prepared that you may not see the results you want in your garden for a year or two.

Newt

Quote Originally Posted by Newt View Post
    Hi Steve,

Yes, there is a much better option. Boxwood is difficult to grow from seed. You can purchase one or two shrubs of the named variety you want and take cuttings. That way you'll have the features you desire of the named variety. Here's how to do this.
    BOXWOOD PROPAGATION

This site has some good pics and explains how to care for your cuttings as they root and grow.
    G6560 Home Propagation of Houseplants, MU Extension

I'm sure you realize after reading the first site, it will be 2 to 3 months before your cuttings root, so be prepared that you may not see the results you want in your garden for a year or two.

Newt
    I thank you for the terrific advice, Newt. So basically, I can buy one or two plants, create cuttings for implantation, and then the cuttings will grow/look like the mother plant. That's one heckuva cost saver.

Thank you again, Newt!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I thank you for the terrific advice, Newt. So basically, I can buy one or two plants, create cuttings for implantation, and then the cuttings will grow/look like the mother plant. That's one heckuva cost saver.

Thank you again, Newt!

Steve
    Steve, it's a pleasure. The answer is 'yes'. Do keep in mind that sometimes you will see a tag that says propagation is prohibited. Of course, no one knows what you do in your own garden! ;)

Newt