Hybrid View

growing asparagus from seed

I started some asparagus plants from seed in small peat starter kits. I replanted them in bigger containers filled with potting soil. The plants have gotten quite tall but their stems are so thin that they are toppling over. Is this normal or should I replant then deeper so that they are upright?

Hi Luv2Garden,

Without pictures and more information it's difficult to say what needs to be done. Are you growing these pots indoors or outdoors since you repotted them? If they are indoors are they under lights? If under lights, how far from the lights and what kind of lights are you using? Do you have a fan blowing gently above the plants in the room? How tall are the plants now?

Newt

growing aspargus

Thanks for the reply. I started them in the tiny planter kits indoors. Then when they were a few inches in height, I replanted them in the bigger (maybe 8 ounce) peat containers using potting mix. They are still indoors. They are only exposed to sunlight from a window. Some days I have left a CFL light bulb from a lamp on but that's about it. I'm in Minnesota so I cant plant them outdoors for at least another month. The problem is that they grew nicely for the first few weeks (it was about 5 weeks ago that the seedlings emerged) but now they have gotten too tall to stay upright. In other words they became too top heavy and toppled over. The tallest plants are currently about 8-10 inches in height. So, my question was should I replant them in deeper containers and bury the stems into the soil so that the plants stay upright. Or will they be fine this way and I should just plant them outdoors when the time comes? Thanks again for the reply.

Luv2garden, you are so very welcome! You can plant them deeper, but I'd only go an inch or so each time you transplant to a larger pot. Your seedlings are probably floppy from not enough sunlight and not enough air movement. Try keeping that light on at least 18 hours and very close the plants, maybe 4" to 6" since it's cfl. If you have a small fan, keep it blowing the air around the plants as this will help to strengthen the stems.

Newt

Hello

1) Saving Seeds From Your Own Plants: You may expand your asparagus bed by saving seeds from the female plant. Simply cut the ferny plant top in late fall when the berries are red. Hang the fern to dry then soak the dried berries in water to soften the skins. Squeeze out the seeds and rinse off the pulp. Dry seeds between paper towels for a day or two then store them in a sealed plastic baggie and refrigerate until ready to sow. To make sure they remain dry, slip in another small piece of paper towel with the stored seeds.
    2) Growing Indoors: To gain an extra year of growth - and who doesn't want to eat these tasty vegetables as soon as possible - start your seeds indoors in February. When using purchased seeds or your own saved seeds, presprouting will ensure greater success.
    3) Spread seeds between folds of lightly dampened paper towel, slip into a plastic baggie and seal. Lay the baggie on top of your refrigerator where it's warm. Expect germination within 10 to 14 days. Sow your presprouted seeds in 3 1/2 to 4 inch pots and place on a sunny windowsill. Water as needed and fertilize only once, if at all, with a diluted liquid organic fertilizer.
    4) Planting Young Asparagus: Prepare your asparagus bed with deep fertile sandy loam soil. Low fertility can cause fibrous spears. Attention to plant spacing and soil pH will reward you with many years of this delicious treat.

Have a nice day