Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

lemon tree help

Hi Newt.

Another summer has come and gone and my tree still have not bloomed. To be perfectly honest, I have not trimmed the roots, but will do so, hopefully this weekend. In addition, this tree has what appear to be 2 separate trunks. Can I cut the second one off and then trim the other one back??
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Newt View Post
    Overfertilizing citrus can cause bloom drop or leaf growth at the expense of flowers. Have you checked to see if the tree is rootbound?

Newt
    I have fertilzed the tree every two months over the years using a citrus fertilzer that I picked up in Florida awhile back. This past year, I was told to pick up a fertilizer called bloom booster and I have been adding that to the water every two weeks and using epson salts once a month.

This past August I removed the tree from the pot and trimmed the roots back quite a bit. In addition, I did remove all the suckers from the tree itself. Its been outside now for approximately 1 month and has developed a large number of new leaves (it did lose quite a number of leaves while spending the winter in my greenhouse). To be quite honest, I am becoming quite tired of a non-producing lemon tree and may donate it to a friend if it fails to produce fruit this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt View Post
    I realize you trust the advice you got, but from this site I gave you.
    http://leon.ifas.ufl.edu/News_Columns/2002/121502.pdf

You can use your finger to measure by poking into the soil up to the first knuckle for one inch and the second knuckle for two inches.

Newt
    To be quite honest, I did repot, but I cannot be sure if it was last year or the year before. In regards to watering, in the winter when the tree is in my greenhouse, I only water when the soil becomes dry, whereas in the summer, for the most part the rain takes care of the tree, unless we go through an extended dry period. As previously noted, I usually fertilze bi-monthly as that advice was provided to me by a retailer of citrus trees many years ago when I first bought the tree.

The lemon tree looks beautiful, with no sign of any leaf damage. However, here we are in August, and there is no sign of any flowers and as such, no lemons. I've read over the recommendations from Newt and been careful with watering, even during our upper 90 degree days. Is it possible that this tree just will not produce fruit??

To be quite honest, I am becoming quite tired of a non-producing lemon tree and may donate it to a friend if it fails to produce fruit this year.

Quote Originally Posted by macrylinda1 View Post
    To be quite honest, I did repot, but I cannot be sure if it was last year or the year before. In regards to watering, in the winter when the tree is in my greenhouse, I only water when the soil becomes dry, whereas in the summer, for the most part the rain takes care of the tree, unless we go through an extended dry period. As previously noted, I usually fertilze bi-monthly as that advice was provided to me by a retailer of citrus trees many years ago when I first bought the tree.
    This past August I removed the tree from the pot and trimmed the roots back quite a bit. In addition, I did remove all the suckers from the tree itself. Its been outside now for approximately 1 month and has developed a large number of new leaves (it did lose quite a number of leaves while spending the winter in my greenhouse). To be quite honest, I am becoming quite tired of a non-producing lemon tree and may donate it to a friend if it fails to produce fruit this year.

meyer lemon

Not sure why you are quoting me from last year. Is there a point you are trying to make?

If you have the luxury of starting from scratch, plant your lemon tree where it will get plenty of sun and be protected from frost in the colder months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12