Question sassafras tree health

Several years ago, I transplanted a wild sassafras tree into my yard from a lightly forested area just a couple of blocks from the house. It was my second attempt; the first season I tried this, the tree did not survive. The tree in question was successfully transplanted and has been growing in my yard ever since. It is now probably 12-15 feet tall. It's never been one to leaf out early but this year, it's not leafed out yet. There is a small sprig of leaves down near the base of the trunk though. I am fearful that the primary tree has died but I can't imagine from what. It is in a flat area, it gets plenty of sunshine, it's been perfectly normal for the last few years, has shown no evidence of insects or fungus on the leaves or bark. I just don't get it. I live in northern Virginia, though I don't know why that would matter since the tree came from nearby. If the primary tree has died, and any readers can hazard as guess as to why, I would appreciate your thoughts. I'm going to try to keep the sprig going in the event the primary tree is gone and I don't want the same thing to happen again in a few years. I'm hoping that rest of the tree will suck up some sap and get with it now that the weather is warming up for good. I don't really know when the leaves are supposed to come out and apparently I haven't been paying close enough attention. I'd like to think that I'm just being concerned over nothing but it's almost June and wet May or not, that just doesn't seem right.

Hi Tracy,

Your tree may have died from root rot. Here's some interesting info on these trees.
    http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/SASALBA.pdf

Newt