Thread: 1st timer

1st timer

I have just planted my first vegetable garden. I bought 4-inch bell peppers, strawberries, tomatoes, melons, watermelon, zuchini, and cucumber. What I wanna know is for how long should I pinch off the flowers or fruit on these plants so that they may grow faster and give a better crop later? Also, how many fruits should I leave on the plants later on? The watermelon vines are about the size of a basketball now and have several blossoms and 1 tiny watermelon each. The melons and strawberries are only about 3 inches tall. The peppers, zuchinis, and cucumbers are about 1 foot tall and have flowers and/or some tiny fruit, and the tomatoes are about 2 feet tall but no fruit yet. Thanks, appreciate any advice!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jds8535 View Post
    I have just planted my first vegetable garden. I bought 4-inch bell peppers, strawberries, tomatoes, melons, watermelon, zuchini, and cucumber. What I wanna know is for how long should I pinch off the flowers or fruit on these plants so that they may grow faster and give a better crop later? Also, how many fruits should I leave on the plants later on? The watermelon vines are about the size of a basketball now and have several blossoms and 1 tiny watermelon each. The melons and strawberries are only about 3 inches tall. The peppers, zuchinis, and cucumbers are about 1 foot tall and have flowers and/or some tiny fruit, and the tomatoes are about 2 feet tall but no fruit yet. Thanks, appreciate any advice!
    I would not take any of the flowers off of anything you have listed. the flowers is what brings the fruits of the plant. I don't know your spacing of the vines, so I can't be of any help there except to tell you that melons, zucchini, cucumber will spread pretty good,lol. the strawberries will come back every year and the peppers are only for this season.
    but all in all nope I would not take off any flowers from them. It won't matter in size from what I understand--then again,,, there could be that avenue I have not been be taught yet...

Thanks! about the peppers, I notice that sometimes when you buy them at the garden center they already have some tiny bell peppers on them. I have left them alone before but instead of growing and getting the size of a regular supermarket bell pepper they stay that size and when you pick them they have already rotted inside. Any ideas? these are not miniature pepper plants but regular sized bells.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jds8535 View Post
    Thanks! about the peppers, I notice that sometimes when you buy them at the garden center they already have some tiny bell peppers on them. I have left them alone before but instead of growing and getting the size of a regular supermarket bell pepper they stay that size and when you pick them they have already rotted inside. Any ideas? these are not miniature pepper plants but regular sized bells.
    Most of the time I clip those off. so yes,,,I thought the way you were talking that you were clipping off the flowers,lol. Don't forget they like water, speaking of which I have to do a good soaker on mine today,lol.
    ;)