Kousa Dogwood Problem

We had this tree planted last September at the same time we had a water feature installed. This spring it never fully came back. It did have some (some being the operative word) blooms but that was it. As you can see, (these pics were taken 7/14/09) what leaves that are there look somewhat wilted and they are few and far between compared to when they planted it last year. I've given it two shots of fish emulsion but that doesn't seem to help. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? I will say that this tree is in a moist area and we've had a lot of rain this spring and summer. I did the finger stick and it doesn't seem to be that moist.
    Thanks for any help or suggestions. This is all new to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Key pointers to consider but not the solution.
    - Normally plant trees when they are dormant
    - Verify you have proper water drainage prior to planting. Dig a hole and fill it up with water. It should be gone within two days if I remember correctly.
    - Prior to planting, make sure you planting hole is large enough and you disturb the roots on the root ball.

You may have to raise the soil level if the soil to provide proper drainage.

Backyard