*Don't have much to say here but how do you get spores from a fern and at what time of the year?

jstr11

Hi Jstr,

Unless you have a vision problem, it would be helpful if you don't use such large type.* It feels like you are yelling and it's hard on the eyes.* :)* The American Fern Society has some interesting info.
    http://amerfernsoc.org/

Newt

oh sorry i don't have vision problems but to me it is still easier to read.:P*and thanks for the info!!:D

You are very welcome!* :)

Newt

I've never removed a spore, but I find that if you get 1 sword fern, you'll have countless ferns. I started with 5 and now have over 50. That doesn't count the starts I've given or thrown away. They are very prolific.

I have three very small*Japenese Painted Ferns in pots. About four weeks ago I brought them inside and put them on a window sill in a cool room. They have all now died off. I'm presuming this is just part of their growing cycle. I hope I haven't done anything stupid by bringing them indoors. Any reassurance would be welcome.

Dave

Hi Dave,

These are perennials and really should be outside for the winter.* I would suggest you sink the pots into the ground for the winter.* In the spring you can plant them in their permanent home.

Newt