Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange Weed Needs Identifying

Hello,

This thing sprouted a few months ago, and Iíve been trying to figure out what it is ever since. I have consulted several books, and even online weed identification websites, but still cannot identify it. I thought it might be wild onion or garlic, but it has no onion or garlic smell when cut. I live in Arizona, and we had a hot, dry summer, but the spot it is growing in stays very muddy. Iíve never seen anything like it after years of pulling weeds.

The plant is 36Ē high, and the leaves are 5/16Ē across. The leaves have miniscule ridges, and the edges are smooth, not serrated. The surface of the leaf is also smooth, with no hairs. It has not produced flowers yet.

The roots go at least 6Ē deep, and the shoots are connected by some kind of rhizome. The last picture is of the small sprout on the right in the first picture.

The only reason I havenít dug it up is because Iím curious as to what it is. I look forward to your response.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim,
    I live in Arizona, too. Are the leaves hard or soft? Could it be a yucca?

It lookslike a cattail to me.

You could be right, since it's in a muddy area. I'm just not used to muddy area's down here in southeastern Arizona.

Hi Jim...I wouldent dig this up..?! It looks like it is a benificial plant,almost like a day lilly...please post a photo of flowers,if it lives...thnx

Do people see banners at the bottom of this page?

not really banners but posting permissions codes and stuff.

This is definately not a daylily or yucca. I am experienced with both..but I am curious to see how this turns out. It reminds me greatly of my garlic chives, but you say it has no odor.

Hello from Canada! I am pretty sure that is either a pretty stunted Cattail (typha) Or if you are lucky, a blue or yellow "flag" Iris. either way, if it blooms you will know for sure. I would leave it as it would be interesting to grow this marsh plant in a desert environment.
    Last edited by KarenZone3A; 04-05-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Strange Weed Needs Identifying (update)

Hey,

Itís been a while since Iíve checked back, but I have an update:

Over the winter, the plant died, so I cut it way back, but left it there thinking it might grow back. And did it ever. Now, there are 17 different shoots, and more pop up all the time. The tallest one is about 5 Ĺ feet high.

Iím thinking itís a cattail. We have a tiny leak in the drip system, so thereís always a puddle there. Thereís a man-made lake maybe a mile away that has cattails, so itís possible a seed drifted there, or was brought by a bird.

I guess weíll know for sure if it ever produces flowers. Then I'll get rid of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast