Starting Self Watering Containers

I'm going to buy some Self Watering Containers from Gardeners Supply Company

Any tips to starting?

Btw, I'm going to grow tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and cucumbers in these

Also I am doing earth gardening. I'm just doing containers in case my earth garden doesn't work well. Also seeing if containers would be better for me or not

I have never used them myself, but i know of ones who do use them, and swaer by them.

Quote Originally Posted by GrowingVeggies View Post
    I'm going to buy some Self Watering Containers from Gardeners Supply Company

Any tips to starting?

Btw, I'm going to grow tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and cucumbers in these

Also I am doing earth gardening. I'm just doing containers in case my earth garden doesn't work well. Also seeing if containers would be better for me or not
    I have only tried the boxes made of polystyrene for tomatoes, and they're great. It's best if you have something to tie the plants to as they grow, ex. a stick or wire mesh. The boxes are big and ugly though, but could be placed in a wooden box to give it a better look.

Hello

To make your self watering planter:
    1) Cut the shoestring in half: This project includes both halves of the string, but you may use only one half if you like. In which case, adjust the instructions accordingly.
    2) Push the narrow ends of each half of the shoestring into the soil through the bottom of the pot.
    3) Place the lid of the container on a flat surface. Hold the plant over the lid allowing the strings to dangle just above it. Mark the places where the strings would touch the lid.
    4) Cut out small holes on the marked areas of the lid.
    5) Put the strings through the holes in the lid. The top of the lid should be touching the bottom of the pot.
    6) Fill the container about 3/4 full with water.
    7) Place the lid securely onto the container. Check to make sure the narrow ends of the strings are still in the bottom of the pot, and the rest of the string is in the water. If you want, you may trim the excess string so that they will just touch the bottom of the container.
    And there you have it, a self watering planter.
    Here are a few tips for using self watering planters.
    1) Self watering planters should only be used with plants which constantly require moist soil. Succulent plants, such as cactus, should not be put on self watering systems.
    2) Check the water level in your reservoir every two days or so. If the strings aren't touching the water, refill the container.
    3) Avoid using colored shoestrings. The dye will get into the soil and may cause problems for your plant.
    4) Fertilizers may be added to the reservoir, but please be sure to follow the instructions included with the fertilizer to avoid damaging your plant.

Thanks for reading