Perennial's won't bloom

I need some help...this year I have about 25 different types of perennials in my garden and NONE of them bloomed. I was so dissappointed, they grew and were green, but just didn't bloom.

This is a ten year old bed, that I add new perennials to every year. They bloomed in years past, but the past three years they have had reduced blooms, to no blooms this year!

I do not want this to happen again next year, any suggestions for what I can do this fall and winter to get the bed ready for spring? The only fertilizer we used was Miracle Grow in the past. What type fertilizer should we be using to increase the blooms. I heard that dehydrated cow manure would help, any ideas?

Thank you!
    Last edited by PConlon; 10-18-2009 at 10:12 AM.

I started planting perennials last year and I had several that did come back too! They were King Edward Yarrow and Pincushions, I am very disappointed. In researching I read that covering your beds with straw in the Fall will help significantly.

Perennials and Miracle grow

Miracle grow is fine for annuals however with perennials you must amend the soil. Mix in compost into the soil between the plants, pull away the mulch and add some around the base of the plant. In the fall mix in some cow manure. Perennials are generally easy to grow however they need to get their nutrients from the soil and if you are only using miracle grow your perennials have used up all the nutrients that the soil had and will not produce flowers.
    Hope this helps you and your garden.
    Dragonfly.

Miracle grow does not improve the soil and is best for annuals, like the previous poster said. It is best to use organic material to improve you soil every year. I use a mixture of organic materials, including compost. The specific mix you should use depends on your soil and where you live. Since none of your flowers bloomed, I think it is due to lack of nutrients in the soil, I recommend adding compost yearly and this year add an organic fertilizer with a good blend of nutrients. Well composted cow manure works well, but be careful if you are in the Southwest with alkaline soil, sometimes there is too much salt in the cow manure for this part of the country.