Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raised beds

I keep trying to get to this, but you guys are providing the inspiration. Maybe this year! Here's a link I found in my research that might help. I'm just not sure how much space I have to devote to this.Guess I'm afraid of taking on too much the first year.

Bigger And Better Vegetables

Thanks Allison

Even tho the picture did not show up on the link I appreciate all the help I can get. Always like aditional info. As you have probably seen, I am down scaling a bit because of money, and the potential weight of the dirt.

Hey all from the driveway to the raised beds in the back yard. I said I would keep an update going, so here it is. Nearly 12 wheelbarrow loads in each raised bed. 6 yards of soil.....I am so sore :)

Hope you enjoy.............

more beds.JPGbeds with soil.JPGpile.JPG

wow 6 yards... i thought three was bad. it's good feeling when you finish isn't it?

this is my first year to have an official garden. i made three raised beds with 2x10 (treated). it's been a great experience thus far, but we'll see how the rest of the season goes. good luck with yours!

Thanks

I ordered Onion and Leek plants and have them planted as we speak. I planted 4 short rows of carrots about 2 weks ago, but they have not popped yet, so not sure what to think about that. The lettuce I planted at the same time has just now started to show themselves. I know I am a bit antsy, so maybe the carrots will still come up.

My tomato and pepper plants are not due until mid to late May, so by then, the waether and soild should be a lot warmer.

Good luck with yours

randyD

Blog Entries
    Raised beds are the best. The dirt warms quicker, you can plant more in less space. Last but not least in general they are way easier to keep ahead of the weeds n such...
    ;)
    Winddancer

Those are beautiiful beds. you will be able to grow a wonderful garden in those!
    Be sure to post more picctures as they are planted and growing
    which direction do they face?
    K

The length of the beds runs North-South. My carrots finally popped, but because it is so cool, the lettuce is pretty stagnant. I will take more pics when I get more things planted.

Dear B,
    Just had an idea after looking at the design of your beds. If you rigged up a glass "lid" out of an old patio door or somethiing you could use those beds as cold frames for very early starts of lettuce ,etc. Maybe somethiing to consider for next year> That would be fun and would enable you to start a few things even earlier.
    As long as the "lid" is removable, you can use them as usual with the lid off once spring has sprung. You would get a nice headstart and have the first lettuce in your neighborhood I bet,
    K
    Last edited by KarenZone3A; 04-12-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Yes.... Next year, if I am back to work, I am plannig on replacing all my windows in the house, and will have "cold frames" as well as raiswd beds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast