Norway Spruce Hedge?

Hi,
    I am new to using forums. I am hoping to have someone help me with forming a very large hedge row with Norway Spruce trees. We have a big deer problem and were told that this trees would hold up better. Currently there are 9 trees, 6-7 ft. tall and are spaced 3-4 ft apart from the widest limbs. Our long term goal is,.. about 15ft tall, 6-8 ft in depth and in a box like shape. Would love educated advice on how, when, and where to prune them :) Thanks for reading my post and helping if possible.

While I am not familiar with the type of "hedge row" you have, most all pruning/trimming should occur when most of sap/pitch, etc is not active. I would suggest you prune them in the fall, and then again after winter when the snows/winds/ice break them down a bit. Where do you live???

Norway Spruce Hedge

Dear Banddaddyd,

Thank you for your information :) I live in Saratoga Springs NY. its upstate. Other people have said to prune in the spring only? I find it to be very confusing. I wish I could locate someone with hands on experience with using them and shaping them into a formed hedge. It would ease my mind, and I could pick there brain,..... please no insult to you. Thank you for taking your time to write to me.

Saratoga

Try calling the local Master Gardeners there in your local area. I am sure they will tell you what you need to do. We have County extensions here in Oregon, and they also provide some info lie this. If that is inconvenient, try going ot the local garden center and ask them, and if they are not sure, you may need to call a professional arborist.

Good luck