Hybrid View

Rosemary outdoors for the winter?

Greetings...
    I live in northeastern Pennsylvania. I've had a rosemary plant now for many years, given as a gift. I've been digging it up year after year, brought in for the winter. It does very well in my garage with morning sun and cool temperatures. My question is, it's getting too big, about 3 feet high and wide. I'd really like to leave it outdoors this winter. My thought was to mulch heavy, and put some burlap around the bottom. It's a few feet from the house, protected by a deck. I really hate to lose it, but even with cutting it back it's too large to be brought inside. Has anyone had success with leaving outdoors in the winter, any tips would be greatly appreciated. This plant is around 20 years old.

Thanks~
    Kelly

Hello Kelly. Ken here with The Home Depot in the Chicago area.
    I know about cold too. Im not so sure that your rosemary is going
    to survive this winter. Most rosemary are hardy down to 0*F at best,
    Arp to -10*F. The best you can do is mulch well and protect from
    winter winds by wrapping in plastic sheeting. Leave the top open.
    Next spring, take some cuttings for backup. Good luck and let me
    know what happens. Take care.

Hi Ken, thanks for taking the time to reply. So far it's surviving and it's been in the low teens a few times, but we have a few months of cold to go. I have about 15 inches of mulch around the base packed in tight. It's next to a wall and deck. I'll let you know in the spring! Good thinking on taking cuttings, I'll do that tomorrow!
    Cheers!
    Kelly

In Canada, I've seen them wrap regular home insulation around palm trees to protect them. I would assume, burlap, home insulation, then tyvek so it can breath

Thumbs down

Sorry to report my 20 year old Rosemary didn't make it. We had a lot of snow and ice storms this winter, guess it was just too much. Will buy another....

Hey, kelly2. Ken here with The Home Depot in the Chicago area. I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your
    20 year old rosemary. It sure had a good run. Take care and good luck with your new one.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly2 View Post
    Greetings...
    I live in northeastern Pennsylvania. I've had a rosemary plant now for many years, given as a gift. I've been digging it up year after year, brought in for the winter. It does very well in my garage with morning sun and cool temperatures. My question is, it's getting too big, about 3 feet high and wide. I'd really like to leave it outdoors this winter. My thought was to mulch heavy, and put some burlap around the bottom. It's a few feet from the house, protected by a deck. I really hate to lose it, but even with cutting it back it's too large to be brought inside. Has anyone had success with leaving outdoors in the winter, any tips would be greatly appreciated. This plant is around 20 years old.

Thanks~
    Kelly
    HI Kelly Its me Carles!
    I would like to suggest that you look for an expert individual for that rosemary to be place outside this winter. 'cause if not, you will probably loose it.. Tc!