Thread: newbie

Question newbie

Hi everyone! Im new to gardening. I actually have no experience in gardening at all what so ever. I really want to learn, I have no idea where to begin, except for the ground Is there anyone would be willing to take me under there wing or at least point me in the right direction?

Read the labels on the plants and give them the amount of sun it says to. Have good drainage. Keep the weeds down. Use organic fertilizers. They are much more forgiving than non organics. Try native or naturalized plants. They should be the easiest to start with.

Yard Food, Thank you soo much for taking your time to reply to my post. I will follow your advice and well repost when I get to growing.one more question,What do you mean by drainage?

Your welcome.

You want any water that is not absorbed by the ground to drain away from your plants. And you want the soil to be able to dry out a little between waterings. Plants don't do so well in puddles or soil that's always soggy. Unless you're growing a swamp.

If you have a place where water stands for a day or so after it rains, you need to drain that water away.

If the ground stays muddy for awhile after it rains, you may want to amend the soil with compost and sand (not construction sand. sometimes it's a lot of ground up cement) or build a raised bed.

The idea is to have soil that holds moisture for the plant to drink without drowning it. Loamy is the word.

oh ok i got it. Thanks again!