Hybrid View

newbie - too wet to plant my shipment

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help. I'm a bit new to gardening outside of a container on a small apartment porch. I've since moved into a house and was planning a cut flower garden. However, my zone 5 has been pretty much flooded out this year, and the raised bed prep has been seriously delayed.

I received my shipment and need to figure out what to do with some of the plants (tall phlox and field grade lilies). Ideally I would like to do just enough so I can transplant them into the bed when it is ready (probably won't be ready until the week of May 23rd). The list of plants is at the end of this note, and I have the ability to put them all in containers, plant them in other flower beds, etc...I just don't know what to do until their spots are ready. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hey, dndlyon. Ken here with The Home Depot in the Chicago area.
    It is the same problem all over. The soil is too wet to work. Just pot
    them up in temporary containers. When the bed is ready, they will
    go in nicely. Good luck and take care.

Thanks, Ken! I figured I was over-worried about it and did exactly as you said a few days after my original post. I just had a bit of a panic moment when I realized everything was sprouting and the bulbs that weren't sprouting were starting to mold. Ended up being a good thing that the beds weren't ready - I had to bring all the pots in lastnight due to a frost warning...crazy weather this year!

Thanks again!