Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Growing tomatoes inside during the winter

Hi I just ordered some tomatoe seeds - (Red Robin) to grow inside during the winter in indoor containers. I am a master gardener and I have done this before. The trick is short, non-cracking determinate plants. I miss home grown tomatoes in the winter. I also have ordered some pepper plants to try. I place them in my large south window.

Can you give instructions as to how you do it

Growing Tomatoes indoors in the Winter

Hi - I finally started my indoor winter tomatoes. I did a post on it with pictures and story - Gloria

Hello

1) The most important part of this endeavor is to purchase healthy plants that are suited to growing in pots. There are several varieties around that are well-suited. Some are called patoi tomatoes". Most sizes of tomato (from cherry to the largest) have at least one variety suitable for growing in a pot.
    2) Make sure your pot is big enough, and use good quality potting soil This is important. Follow instructions received with the plant for best growing. Keep in a sunny area, away from animals.
    3) Make sure to select an area of your house without drafts. Too cold in the winter and your tomato won't continue to grow. Also be wary of air conditioning/heat vents around your potted tomato.
    4) During the winter months, supplement the light from outdoors with a grow light bulb, available at most hardware shops. Use a clamp lamp to clamp above the tomato plant for best results.

Blog Entries
    I tried this this year.... It went bust. I got a good sized planter n did the seeds, they came right up nooo problem. Got the grow light and set it so it was square over the plants, not to high not to low. They grew about 3" and stopped dead. Is there a certain kind of light? Should I move the plants away from the outside kitchen wall and closer to the middle of the house by the wood burner. I was kinda iffy about putting it close to the wood burner.. I would love to plant a indoor salad garden this winter... Any how to's on that?
    ;)

Winddancer

One thing that you probably would need is bottom heat. Tomatoes grow in warm climates, which is why we can not grow them here year round outside. So the grow light is good, but probably also need bottom heat so the soil stays warm. Also, FYI, you would need the type that do not require pollination to set fruit.

The garden salad should be easier as lettuce is fairly cool climate tolerant, tho too cold and they also will stop growing.

Good luck

Blog Entries
    Oh snap! lol, I didnt even think of warming the soil... Great idea, one of those why didn't I think of thats.... I will be doing that for sure.. A fun winter project....
    Thank you so much!
    ;)

you should use greenhouse if you want more.
    container is lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by khthelegend View Post
    you should use greenhouse if you want more.
    container is lazy.
    Any idea for those who do not have access to a greenhouse? I use my garden to grow vegetables for the family. It is also a sense of pride for myself as well. I have been looking into fiberglass planters that I can set in our sun room. This should have the same effect as a greenhouse more or less. I am just trying to think of other ways to keep the harvest going through the winter months.

Hello Gloria, can you show me a link of your post?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast