Question Tree or shrub for northeast exposure-Windy-privacy for patio-New England

We just lost three 35 foot (30 year old) cedar trees next to our house and patio that gave us some shade and privacy. Any suggestions for replanting? Deer proof and no bee attraction would be best.

I am new to the forum.

Thank you.

The quick and easy answer would be Leyland Cypress, They do well here on the Cape, where we have wind and salt issues; grow relatively fast once established; average growth around us is 25' - 35'. They are usually dense and can be used as a hedge for privacy. To date they are relatively pest and disease free, though there is question of a new(?) issue that may cause problems in the near future. They seem to be getting over-planted due to all the above reasons, but if it works for your situation.... Hardy in zones 6 -9. Other possibles are the "giant" varieties of arborvitae (i.e. green giant) might grow too tall; white pine; Have planted Port Orford / Lawson Cypress, but they have the potential of a nasty fungal issue around me. Hope this helps, and if at all possible please let us know the hardiness zone you are in when you post your question, this board has people from around the world ( or so it seems).

Thank you. We are in the middle of Narraganset Bay in Rhode Island and we are in Zone 6 b with northeast winds in the winter. Deer. Wind. Some salt spray.

Quote Originally Posted by artingreen View Post
    The quick and easy answer would be Leyland Cypress, They do well here on the Cape, where we have wind and salt issues; grow relatively fast once established; average growth around us is 25' - 35'. They are usually dense and can be used as a hedge for privacy. To date they are relatively pest and disease free, though there is question of a new(?) issue that may cause problems in the near future. They seem to be getting over-planted due to all the above reasons, but if it works for your situation.... Hardy in zones 6 -9. Other possibles are the "giant" varieties of arborvitae (i.e. green giant) might grow too tall; white pine; Have planted Port Orford / Lawson Cypress, but they have the potential of a nasty fungal issue around me. Hope this helps, and if at all possible please let us know the hardiness zone you are in when you post your question, this board has people from around the world ( or so it seems).