I've been back into vegetable gardening for about 2 years now and have a few questions. I have straight neck and spagetti squash, zuccini, pole beans, bush beans, cucumber, cantalope, melons, okra, egg plant, asparagus (just started this spring), 5 kinds of peppers, and 6 kinds of tomatos growing in a 30'x50' garden that is partially shaded.
1. I am having a heck of a time with powdery mildew on my squash and zuc plants. My garden is partially shaded and only gets 6-7 hours of sun a day. I have been spraying Daconil every two weeks but now the mildew is coming back within one week. I have now started removing the leaves and stems that are affected but I am afraid to remove many more. Any suggestions? Would it help to remove more of the large leaves to help dry the soil under the plants?
2. I am getting plenty of squash, but very few zucs on the same size plants. Appears that the zucs have mostly male blossoms. Any suggestions?
3. All my plants are being eat up with mealy bugs. Have been spraying with Malathion but as soon as new growth appears, the start on it. Any suggestions?
4. I have 60 feet of the nicest pole bean vines that you have ever seen. Giant leaves and healthy vines. NO BEANS or bean blossoms! The have been in the ground since May 1. Any suggestions?
5. General question on fertilizing. When exactly do you know to fertilize? All of my plants are growing better this year than in past years as I have been able to get a lot of humus into it. I sent a soil sample off last fall and have followed the instructions on lime and nitro to the letter. I am kinda scared to add more fertilizer now that is it growing so well.
Thanks for your help in advance.