Thread: English Ivy

chrismu Guest

English Ivy

We just made up some hanging baskets w/ an assortment of annuals and also put some english ivy and some grasses in them for a little greenery. My question is that I know the english ivy is perrenial so what should I do w/ it when the rest dies out this fall. Could I just leave it in the basket and let it go until next year (not really what I'd like to do because they would look a little bare) or should I just transplant the ivy in the ground somewhere till next spring? I'm really just starting to get interested in this kind of stuff so any help would be great.

pruninggal Guest
    Hi chrismu,

Usually Ivy is an evergreen groundcover or basket filler - let us know where you are located so we can help you better.

Pruninggal

[align=left]i wouldnt suggest using english ivy as a groundcover, or even transplanting it elsewhere.....it can be an absolute beast once it gets its roots established, and murders brickwork if it gets the opportunity to grow up a wall!* i know it looks pretty, but here in the uk, we have the devil's own job to eliminate unwanted ivy!* i think it's a bit like your kudzu plants!![/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

[align=left]Toss everything and restart with a new planting.* [/align]
    [align=left]You could plant bulbs where the annuals die to have something in the spring.* [/align]
    [align=left]Backyard[/align]