Thread: sweetpeas

Hybrid View

sweetpeas

:arrow: i'm not sure if this is the proper forum, but here goes....this spring, i planted sweetpea seed along my fence (they are growing very nicely), my question is do they self-seed? i would like to have them every year. if they do not self-seed, how do i save the seeds for next year? thanks for all your help.

Hi Amc,
    Yes, this is the right forum. Sorry I didn't see your question sooner. :oops: You can let the pea pods dry on the vine and self seed. Or, you could just harvest the pods and sow the seeds in late fall outside. If you harvest the seeds and sow them indoors, nick the seed and soak for 24 hours before sowing. Take a look here under Lathyrus.
    http://theseedsite.co.uk/db12.html

Newt

:P thanks, newt. i think i'll let mother nature do the seeding and see what pops up. (i can always put more seeds in if i have to)

Amc,
    You are very welcome. You might want to help them along after the pods dry by splitting them and sprinkling some on the ground. That way, if there is a wet spell, you don't risk the seeds rotting in the pods.

Good luck,
    Newt