Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Clueless, it might be a good idea to read up on how to care for and transplant cactus.* There are many books in the library that should be helpful.* When you measure a pot for size so you know what the next size you will need, you can measure from top to bottom.* For a novice I would suggest you use potting soil labeled for cactus.* It won't pack down and will drain better.* Use clay pots that aren't glazed.* Most folks tend to overwater their plants and that is very easy to do with a cactus.*

Since you say it was in the pot you purchased it in for a year, did the roots fill the entire pot when you took it out to transplant?* This isn't a cactus, but does show what a rootbound rootball looks like.* Did the roots look anything like this?

Can you post a picture?

Newt

I honestly do know if i can attach pictures. if you walk me through it or message me on my yahoo messenger sometime when i am on, i will send you a picture. um the root looked nothing like that.

Clueless, to post a picture click on 'Browse' at the bottom of the reply box.* Locate the picture in your computer and click on 'open' or whatever the prompt is for your computer.

Newt

what do you want a picture of the dead one or the alive one?

Clueless, whichever one you want help with.* If you want to know what happened to the dead one then post that with a description of what you did and what happened.*

If you want help with the live one, post that with a description of what is going on and what you have done and what is the question.*

By now I'm a bit confused.* :?

I'm leaving this afternoon for a few days and will try and help when I return on Tuesday or Wednesday.* In the meantime maybe someone else will come along and be able to help.

Newt

[align=left]i have 2 cactus that i have had for 30 years and have in the last 2 years been putting them outside during the summer. I do not know the rules for trnsplanting from an outdoor pot*to a new pot indoors. i know i should transplant now but do i have 2 leave it outdoors for awhile as not to shock the cactus too much or can i go ahead and transplant it from the outdoor pot right into a new one indoors. Please help. i do not want to hurt these cactus. thank you[/align]

Hi Dipaul,

You don't say where you live so I'm going to guess at some things.* I'm not sure what you mean by an indoor pot and an outdoor pot.* What is the difference?* When bringing plants indoors for the winter, it's best to bring them in before the heat is turned on, especially at night.* Plants are like people and can get sunburned or stressed by being in a cool climate and then going to a very warm one.* To get it used to being indoors you might want to start bringing it in at night and putting it out during the day.

Since the plants will be slowing down with the cooler weather and less sun, I would suggest you wait to repot it until it has adjusted to the new climate indoors if you feel it has to be repotted.* It may not need to be repotted until next spring.* If the night temps are warm enough where you live and you must repot it, go ahead and repot now and wait a week or two before you bring it indoors.

Newt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12