Thread: Diseased?

Diseased?

Hi,

I bought this houseplant about 2 years ago (See pictures below). Unfortunately I have no idea what it is called.

It seems to be a little unwell, (see browning leaves and strange dark brown growth on some of the veins) though it has been this way for at least 9 months.

Can anyone identify my plant? Also, can anyone point out what is wrong with it and how I can rectify the problem?

Thank you :)

Hi!
    Your plant is commonly called a Birdsnest Fern. I usually see this sort of damage when the plant has either been overwatered or is suffering from fertilizer damage. Does your pot have drainage holes in the bottom? It should. Remember to remove any excess water from drainage trays after watering. At the moment I would avoid feeding it. When watering be sure to completely saturate the soil. The damage that has occurred cannot be repaired, but new growth can rejuvinate your plant. If it hasn't been repotted since you purchased it, you can help it recover from any root damage by doing so. When you do, simply remove the lower 2 inches of soil from the root ball. Replace the soil and place int the pot. I do not suggest moving the pot size larger, just rejuvinating the soil for the roots.

Hope this helps.

The brown lines along the veins are spores (a fern's equivalent of seeds) and are not a cause for concern.

Trim of the damaged (brown) fronds. Provide lots of bright, but indirect light (north windowsill), keep it out of cold drafts, and provide consistent watering and you will see improvement. Leave the roots alone.