Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've also been trying to attract and keep the hummingbirds in my flower garden.* They seem to love the weigela bushes and the hosta that are in the shady areas. * I've planted monarda, columbine, and annual nicotiana in the sunny areas.* Also I found that they seemed to like the million bells and nasturtium baskets that I had out last year.** I've been thinking about planting a buddleia this year.* Will this attract hummies too or only butterflies?*

BTW, this is my first post on this board and I'm so excited to have found it.* I don't have as much time for gardening as I would like as I have 2 young sons (3 1/2 and 14 months) and another on the way in November.* But I love gardening and would love to instill an early love for digging in the dirt with my children.* (Good, clean fun.)*

Hi Julie,

Yes, the butterfly bush will attract the hummers, especially if it's a dark purple one.* They are drawn to red and purple flowers.* Hopefully those sites I posted are still good and will give you lots of helpful info.* I find that my native honeysuckle attracts them the most.

I loved your comment about good clean fun.* Whenever my kids got soil on them I used to say it was 'clean dirt'.* :)*

Newt

Well, I have yet to see my first hummer of the season.* (Not unusual.* I usually don't see them until a little later in June.)* But my 4 year old son and I were just attacked by a hummingbird moth.* It had come to sample my monarda and apparently thought my orange shirt and my son's yellow shirt looked tasty too. ** I've never seen one of these little buggers before and it was pretty cool.*

Julie, my hummers were late this year too, but it's always a delight to see them.* That's a riot about the moth being attracted to your bright clothes.* When I was in the Amazon Jungle, we had butterflies attracted to our clothes as well.* How special that is.* *

Newt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12