Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I have a striped german tomato plant and the leaves are turning yellow. But It started with the bottom leaves so I cut them off but it just moved to the next level of leaves. Any suggestions before I have just a stem and a tomato?

Thanks!

[align=left]I am having a similar problem with my container tomatoes - yellow leaves all around the bottom, and the plant looks stressed overall. [/align]
    [align=left]Usually, when leaves turn yellow, it's a sign of wet feet (over-watering), but I am beginning to wonder if it might be something amiss with the soil. Have you tried a soil test? [/align]
    [align=left]*[/align]

Salt can also cause yellowing of the lower leaves of tomatoes, especially if container grown.* Synthetic fertilizers contain residual salts, so if you are using a synthetic fertilizer that could be the cause.* Many potting soils come with synthetic slow release fertilizers in them as well, so if you then fertilize more you can have salt accumulation.
    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...aves/salt.html

Newt

[align=left]Yes. This*issue about the quality of the potting soil*actually relates to my question in a separate topic (http://www.backyardgardener.com/foru...8&jump_to=4192) about the container soil that I thought was organic, but might not be. I'm checking into that today.[/align]
    [align=left]Regarding the fertilizer, I never use synthetics. Right now*I am using Earth Juice Bloom formula for the tomatoes on a six-week schedule. [/align]
    [align=left]However, the synthetic fertilizer question might affect jstr11, who started this topic. Jstr11: is your striped German tomato in the ground or in a container?[/align]
    [align=left]- Judith[/align]

[align=left]Duplicate post.[/align]

[align=left]Oops. I hit the send button twice by mistake, and don't know how to delete the second occurrence of the post preceding this one. [/align]
    [align=left]While I'm on the subject of not knowing how to do something, any suggestions of how to add my USDA zone (6) to my profile?[/align]
    [align=left]One more thing. (I'm on a roll here!). Some forums allow members to leave a link to their site and a tag line as a signature. Is that permitted here? The Help info, etc. didn't make it clear.[/align]
    [align=left]This is an active and useful forum; I'm glad I found it.[/align]
    [align=left]Thanks! [/align]
    [align=left]-Judith[/align]

Judith, you can edit your post but I don't think you can delete it.* Just click on edit to the right above your post and you can delete the words and just write in 'Duplicate post' and leave it at that if you like.

To change your profile click on 'My Account' at the top of any page in the forum, then look at the green lines at the top of the page under 'Watched Topics' and click on Profile.* Where it says 'City' is where I put my zone instead of the city.

Not sure about the link or tag line.* I would suggest you find a post by backyardgardener and send him a private message and ask if that's ok.

Newt

[align=left]Done. All were excellent suggestions. Thanks very much, Newt. [/align]
    [align=left]- Judith[/align]

Judith, you are so very welcome! :)

Newt

Yes, the plant came with those styrofoamm beads but nothing but that

jstr:)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast