Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Is there some way I could remove the salt, or simply see if it's there?

I don't know if a normal soil test will show, I've never used one.

jstr:)

You can flush the salt out of the soil with a hose left running so the water runs through the pot for about 2 or 3 minutes.* Then use organic fertilizers.* :)

Newt

That would make sense but it is planted in the ground, not in a pot. Should I still do the same thing? It still has the soil from the nursery around it. Thanks!

Oops!* If it's in the ground you can't flush the soil as you risk overwatering.* Do stop using synthetic fertilizers though.

Newt

I haven't used any synthetic fertilizer. Its just the styrofaom beads they pu in potting soil. Maybe extra watering would work? Thanks!

jstr, don't try flushing the soil if your plant is in the ground or you risk it rotting.* You say you haven't used synthetic fertilizers, but I'm wondering if you are fertilizing at all.* If not, try fish emulsion and add an inch of compost around the base of the plant, but not up against the stem.* Can you take a picture of the leaves and the plant for us to see?

Newt

No I haven't used any fertilizer but I just got the plant about a month ago so I figured it wouldn't need anything. Compost about the only fertilizer I use.*I'm not sure if I could get a picture because it's diffucult to find a camera I could use but I'll do my best. Thanks for the advice! Oh, and also I don't mean flush the soil but just enough water so that the salt can absorb a bit of water and the rest the tomato plant gets. Does that make sense?

jstr:P

jstr, you said:

"Oh, and also I don't mean flush the soil but just enough water so that the salt can absorb a bit of water and the rest the tomato plant gets. Does that make sense?"

I wouldn't do it.* You risk overwatering.

Btw, I meant to tell you that isn't styrofoam you see but perlite.* It's a form of rock put in the potting soil to help with drainage.

Newt

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks so much!

jstr:D

[align=left]I was away from my computer for the weekend, and missed your conversation about the yellowing tomato leaves. Actually, jstr, it's a good thing the plant is*in the ground and not in containers. I don't think there is any remedy for my poor yellowing plants in containers. The potting soil is just too... something. Maybe too light-weight. [/align]

[align=left]About soil testing: it's not too hard or expensive. You can buy a basic testing kit for about $15, and it will give you an idea about the status of the main nutrients.*Home soil-testing is*kind of low tech - just a soil sample dissolved in a jar of water and a litmus test, so to speak. But*it gives you a place to start a remedy. [/align]

[align=left]My theory is that whenever plants look like they aren't feeling too good, the first place to begin trouble-shooting is with the soil.[/align]

[align=left]Also, glad to know you don't use synthetic fertilizers either. Hooray for organic gardening! Once the soil is healthy, it really is easier (and better) to use organic methods.*[/align]

[align=left]- Judith[/align]

[align=left]*[/align]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast