Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Judith, I do understand.* We rented this house for 13 years before we purchased it 5 years ago.* During that time I NEVER used chemicals in the garden. I still don't.* We have a great diversity of bird life, squirrels, a woodchuck that has visited once, butterflies galore, hummingbirds and toads.* All on 1/10th of an acre. We also have 4 dogs and 2 cats.*

Unfortunately the home inspection found carpenter ants.* I begged the exterminator to use the least toxic chemicals.* Within a week I found 6 dead toads.* It was heartbreaking.* I also have chemical sensitivities, so I really do understand.

Newt

[align=left]Whoa, that's not good. Six dead toads after fumigation is just not a coincidence. And you know, (since you have chemical sensitivities), that there should be no playing around with chemicals. At best, they're toxic - at worst, deadly. That's one of the reasons I always wonder about the reasons home gardeners use synthetic fertilizers... I mean, if it's in the soil, it's in the food! No matter how many extra big old tomatoes I might get from using synthetics (and I'm not convinced I would even get more), who cares? I don't want to eat what's in them. [/align]
    [align=left]Sorry. A little rant there. [/align]
    [align=left]Newt, I'm also sorry about the effect the*exterminator's work*had on your animal friends and beyond. Take heart, nature will rebalance itself given time. [/align]
    [align=left]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Judith at A to Z Gardening is Talking Dirt: blogging true confessions of an organic gardener. [/align]

Judith, fortunately mother nature has gotten back in balance and we have toads again this year.* I just love to listen to them.* One we've named Tommy lives just off the front porch and loves to hide behind the flower pots there.

Newt

[align=left]Oh, Tommy is gorgeously fat! Think of all the little insects that have rounded his belly and aren't messing with your plants... not that his good work is the only reason to admire and appreciate him. [/align]
    [align=left]We have western tree frogs by our*creek that sing loudly enough to make you think they were as big as Tommy, but actually they are much smaller, and I never see them - only get to hear their song during mating season. [/align]
    [align=left]- Judith[/align]
    [align=left]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Judith at A to Z Gardening is Talking Dirt: blogging true confessions of an organic gardener. [/align]

Glad you like Tommy too.* I think he's so cute and chubby!* What a face!

Here's a giant 25# snapping turtle we found on a very busy road.* The Maryland Department of Natural Resources let us release him in a closed Wildlife area.* I can only post one pic at a time so I'll have to do multiple posts so you can see him go!

Newt

Here's Sammy on his way to the water.* He perked up the moment he smelled it.* We couldn't keep him in this carrier for the night because he couldn't stretch out his tail.

Newt

Sammy making a dash for it!

Newt

Sammy taking the big plunge!

Newt

Sammy's new home.* :D

Newt

You could try and make your own potting soils:

http://www.backyardgardener.com/soil.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12