Posted by Newt on August 07, 2002 at 23:18:36:
In Reply to: holly bushes posted by Mariah on July 23, 2002 at 19:14:33:
: Hi...I'm trying to find out what we are doing wrong...we planted three holly bushes (2 females, 1 male) in May as part of a landscaping plan. The first one died and we replaced it and now the second one is dying also. They just simply turn brown and die. We fertilized wirh miritic acid, but are now wondering if the location is bad, not enough water or what. They are planted near some huge black walnut trees...would that make a difference. Any ideas would be helpful.
I think you have two problems here. One is the close proximity to the black walnuts and the other is what you are using to fertilize. Are you saying that you are using muriatic acid? I would suggest you wait one year before fertilizing and use a natural fertilizer like fish emulsion. You may be either burning the shrubs or overstimulating them.
I recommend you do a search at www.google.com on muriatic acid using quotes like this "muriatic acid". You may change your mind about using this on your plants. You could top dress with leaf mold (which is rotted leaves) or shredded oak leaves if you want an acid type fertilizer.