Re: frozen flower bulbs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

Posted by Newt on January 18, 2003 at 18:01:53:

In Reply to: frozen flower bulbs posted by Lisa on January 18, 2003 at 11:14:40:

: I bought a ton of flower bulbs last fall but hadn't prepared beds to plant them. I tossed the bulbs into my refrigerator, thinking I would get to them later. My sister came to visit in November and told me the gasses from my fruit would kill the bulbs and to put them in my freezer...now I have $100 worth of bulbs in my freezer and I'm being told by other people that this has probably ruined them....sooo...before I spend time planting them, can someone tell me if I'm wasting my time?

Hi Lisa,

You poor dear!!! Your sister was correct in that fruit will off gas and can kill the bulbs. Apples and pears are the biggest threat to them.

You may have killed them, but they do freeze in the ground. I can't see throwing away $100, so here's what I recommend and what I would do. You may be able to save some of them at least. If the ground has thawed enough for planting them, go ahead and dig a large hole and put them all in there in their frozen state. When they come up and you can identify them, you can move them.

If that's not possible, pot them up while they are still frozen, water them and put them in an unheated garage or shed. Cover them with newspaper. Watch them weekly for sprouting and water when they do if they're dry. You should see sprouts in about 6 or 8 weeks.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Newt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company

advertisement

pcp259518pcs.howard01.md.comcast.net at 68.55.146.92