Re: bog plants

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

Posted by Newt on January 23, 2003 at 00:39:53:

In Reply to: bog plants posted by Dan Taylor on January 19, 2003 at 16:04:29:

: We have just moved to a beautiful spot in Saanich, Victoria BC and have 2-1/2 acres of marvellous bog/peat. I'm anxious to start working with this very special soil and have the list of bog plants from this website as some of my research. One of the plants named is Purple Loosestrife. This is an extremely noxious weed or is there a cultivated species? When I looked up the latin name given for the above in this list (Lysimachia clethroides and Lysimachia nummularia aurea) I found completely different plants. ?? As a neophyte in this area I'm a little confused. Any pros out there?

Hi Dan,

Sounds like you have a wonderful piece of heaven. Congratulations!! I'm not a pro, but there are 'garden varieties' of purple loosestrife that were cultivated and thought to be sterile and therefore safe. It has since been discovered that they too have escaped. This site should be helpful to you. The only way to completely destroy it is to burn it. I was given some and told it was a salvia. I had to dig it up and get every bit of it. I burned it to destroy it.

http://www.ducks.ca/purple/

The Lysimachia nummularia aurea is also called creeping jenny and is not purple loosestrife. I would suggest you do a search at www.google.com and put in quotes with a plus sign like this: "British Columbia" + "invasive plant". You'll find lots of helpful info.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Newt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company

advertisement