Re: Seeding in the spring

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

Posted by Newt on March 12, 2003 at 01:32:31:

In Reply to: Seeding in the spring posted by Kevin on March 09, 2003 at 10:37:49:

: I want to aerate my yard and over seed due to last summers drought. I also need to put down crab grass prevent and weed and feed. I live in Dayton, Ohio and next week the snow should be melted (Mid March). What order should I apply the products. Does the crab grass prevent prevent seed germination ? Does the weed and feed prevent seed germination ? I bought a big bag of seed 2 years ago, Does seed have a shelf life ? Thanks

Hi Kevin,

Well to answer your questions: Yes, yes and yes!

"Does the crab grass prevent prevent seed germination?" Yes

"Does the weed and feed prevent seed germination?" Yes

"Does seed have a shelf life?" Yes

Do the crab grass prevent, then the weed and feed. Wait two weeks and then seed. The bags should tell you when you can plant seed.

To see if the grass seed you have is viable (if it was stored in an unheated/unairconditioned garage or shed, it's probably not viable), moisten a paper towel so that it is damp. Sprinkle some seeds on it and fold it up. Place in a baggie and check after 5 days and every 2 or 3 days after that to see if there is any germination and that the towel stays moist. If there is no germination in 3 weeks, you'll need new seed.

Also, if you don't already own the weed products, check out www.gardensalive.com for WOW Plus for lawns. You might like the organic approach better.

Good luck,
Newt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company

advertisement