Re: grass growing in perennial garden

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

Posted by Newt on April 14, 2003 at 22:59:00:

In Reply to: grass growing in perennial garden posted by Suki on April 14, 2003 at 16:46:07:

: I am wondering what to do about the grass that has grown all over the perennial beds. I'm a very new gardener who was too busy last year to care for it. I've raked it out this year. Should I mulch it now and then cover with cedar chips?
: Also, how do you stop chives from spreading? They are everywhere and growing every year!
: Thank you!

Hi Suki,

Don't be too upset about letting things get out of hand. You can smother the grass by placing several layers (5 or 6) of newspaper on top of the areas once you've pulled out as much as possible. Only use the black printed sections and moisten the newspaper as you put it down over the grassy areas so it won't blow away as you work. Been there, done that and looked rediculous running after the paper. :) Then you can cover with mulch. If it's a flower bed I would recommend a mulch like shredded bark or even compost in a layer of about 3" to 4" thick.

The best way to stop chives from seeding all over is to cut off the flower heads before they go to seed. You'll have to dig out the volunteers.

Keep at it and you'll do just fine!
Newt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company

advertisement