Re: plant diseases

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

Posted by Newt on April 23, 2003 at 09:09:16:

In Reply to: plant diseases posted by GirlieGardener on April 15, 2003 at 17:11:50:

: Hi all! It's nice to find a nice a place with such knowledgable, friendly gardeners!

: So I have plant disease questions for you all. The first is about my poor fuschia. I've had the fuschia for a year, and
: it started to have curling leaves with dark, splotchy marks on the leaves. It's not producing many blooms. What is
: this and how do I fight it? Also, is there a special plant food I should be giving it? I've been to the garden stores
: and haven't found one...

: Next is my angels' trumpet plant. For the past few months, it has started grow some promising looking leaves
: and flower buds, but most leaves and buds fall off before they reach maturity, leaving the poor plant looking
: rather anemic. I thought it was lack of water for a while, but now I don't know what it is. There's some nibbling
: on the remaining leaves, so I have a feeling it may be a combination of a pest and a disease.

: Any help would be greatly appreciated!

: Thanks

Hi Girlie Gardener,

For your fuschia and angel's trumpet problems, take a look here.
http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/hgic/diagn/

A good fertilizer to use on your fuschia would be fish emulsion or sea kelp. You can get them at most garden centers and Home Depot or Lowe's stores. Also, if it's a house plant or in a container, use some milk. Yup, the stuff you put in coffee. Just add a tablespoon to the watering can or add water when the container is used up and water away. The milk will add calcium and minerals to the soil. You can use the milk on all blooming plants and houseplants.

Don't use fertilizer on your vines as it will cause the plants to put on lots of green growth and no flowers. Just add compost to the soil if it's planted in the ground. I'm not sure which angel's trumpet you have. Do you know the botanical or Latin name? If it's campsis radicans, they put out their leaves late and don't usually bloom until summer. If it's mandavilla, they should bloom early and all summer long. They aren't hardy outdoors in zones lower than 8.

For environmentally friendly products try this site.
www.gardensalive.com

Hope this helps,
Newt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
    E-Mail  : 
    Subject : 
    Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]
    WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
    Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company