Re: Potted Zinnias

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

Posted by Newt on June 19, 2003 at 19:42:49:

In Reply to: Potted Zinnias posted by Shirley Carroll on June 18, 2003 at 03:17:32:

: I just purchased some zinnias with several plants in the pot and wondered if they can be left in the pot and still thrive. These appear to be the larger, taller zinnias. They are all ready in full bloom. I have never had much luck with container gardening. However, they are so big that I believe if I tried to separate them to put in the ground individually they would be most unhappy, roots all grown together and such. Should I transplant them to a larger pot? Has anyone grown zinnias in a pot throughout the summer? How often did you fertilize,water, etc? Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Hi Shirley,
You could either put them in the ground without separating them or put them in a larger pot. Go for a pot at least 2" larger. Mix in some time release fertilizer like Osmacote or just use any water soluable fertilizer you like. Fertilize once every two weeks with a half strength solution if you are using a synthetic fertilizer like Miracle Gro or full strength if you use sea weed or fish emulsion. Water when the top inch of soil is dry. In sunny and hot temps, that could be once or twice a day if in a clay pot.

Enjoy your flowers,
Newt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company

advertisement