Re: Deer scare !

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

Posted by Angie Secrest on June 20, 2003 at 05:50:34:

In Reply to: Deer scare ! posted by Berit on May 20, 2003 at 09:56:14:

I have major deer issues here in my garden! I recently put up fishing line and bars of irish spring and it worked for a while, till the figured out how to get around or over it! I found the site below and ordered several different things from them; the plant protector clips, the systemic tablets (which are a long term solution) and the deer busters hanging sachets. From my local garden center I got a bottle of coyote urine and some plastic bottles with holes(it is so the scent escapes). Since putting up my new defense my plants haven't been touched! I have actually watched the deer come out of the woods towards the beds, sniff the air and turn around and leave. I finally for the first time in 4 years have hosta that are going to bloom!!!! Prior to this I have tried to plant things that deer don't eat, well the ones around here will eat anything if they are hungry enough! Last year we had a bad drought and they cleaned out everything including my lenten roses which they aren't "supposed" to eat! The younger the deer are the more likely they are to eat everything! I don't know how long my sucess will last, but the systemic tablets you plant with you plants and they make the plant taste bad, the coyote urine you refill every 30 days. I don't know how long the sachets hold out for, would have been longer without all the rain this year, and the plant protectors are great they last up to 8 months and that will give the tablets time to get into the plant system! All I know is it will be an ongoing battle I am sure!

Good luck!
Angie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company

advertisement