Re: Sooty Mold

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

Posted by Newt on June 26, 2003 at 11:31:38:

In Reply to: Re: Sooty Mold posted by Donna on June 26, 2003 at 05:58:53:

: : : Hi. Does anyone know if the soil where a Rhodie had that was COVERED in sooty mold is infected and needs treatment? It has been cut down to the soil level. I know it is really a didease caused by aphid honeydew, but I can't find any references to the remaining soil. Hope I am explaining this clearly. If it does need treatment, can you suggest an organic method? Thanks for the help!

:
: : Hi Donna,
: : Your soil doesn't need treatment. It's the aphids or other bugs that produce the honeydew that would need treatment. If they arean't there, then you won't have any problems with it. Here's a site that might be helpful.

: : http://www.cce.cornell.edu/factsheets/pest-fact-sheets/old/wo.pst.sootymol.html

: : If you have any further problems with it on other shrubs, here's a site that sells environmentally friendly stuff.

: : www.gardensalive.com

: : Regards,
: : Newt

: Thanks Newt. Yes, I have given Gardens Alive lots of money over the years. Just wasn't sure of the soil issue, because it looks black too. Thanks!

Hi Donna,
You're so very welcome! Glad to hear that you use Gardens Alive!! You could always do a search at www.google.com and put in quotes with a plus sign like this: "sooty mold" + "soil" and see what that brings. I did and it seems that there is more than one type of sooty mold. Take a look at a few sites and see what you think.

Best of luck,
Newt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company

advertisement