Re: Killing grass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

Posted by Dawn on July 28, 2003 at 10:44:19:

In Reply to: Re: Killing grass posted by Newt on July 27, 2003 at 11:23:43:

: : : : The deck I added to my house is surrounded by a yard filled with grass. I have plans for gardens throughout the yard. After digging up some grass in the front of the house to redo the landscaping I realized I had neither the time nor the desire to repeat the process in a huge backyard. I was thinking of putting down landscape fabric and four to five inches of mulch in the hopes of killing off the grass this year. In the spring I'd just dig through where I wanted plants to be. Will this work or (gads, I hate even typing this) do I really need to remove the grass?

: :
: : : Hi Dawn,

: : : If you don't remove the grass, there will grass in your flower beds in just a short time. Also, the roots of the grass will crowd your plants as most lawn grass tend to creep and have massive roots. You could rent a sod stripper to remove the grass and compost it for next year. If the beds will be small, in the fall put down several layers of the black printed pages of newspaper at least 6 pages thick. Moisten the paper as you go or you'll be chasing it all over the yard at the first breeze. Been there and entertained the neighbors chasing paper! Now put down the shredded mulch and let sit over the winter. You should have dead grass and decomposed paper and mulch that you can plant through in the spring. If you use the landscape fabric, you will need to either remove it when you go to plant or you will have to cut through it. It's not easy to cut through and can be a real mess later on when you want to change plants around or divide plants.

: : : Good luck,
: : : Newt

: : Newt,

: : Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. You and I have both entertained neighbors with blowing newspapers. I forgot I had tried this in the past at a different house. My garden area will be quite large so I'll start saving my daily papers and be ready to spread them out in the fall and will plan on planting next spring. Thanks again, I'll watch for you stretched out on one of my garden rocks.

: : Dawn

: Hi Dawn,
: You gave me quite a giggle! :-) I will be stretched out on that rock relaxing and watching you do all the work! ;-) Good luck with your new beds!
: Newt

Newt,
As a gardener I'm sure you know that simply sunning on the rock watching (I will assume directions would accompany your sunning) someone else do all the work would be a bit cruel. I'll find a tiny shovel and sunglasses and you can feel free to dig in. Okay, all joking aside my newspapers are being saved and I'm thinking of spraying a grass killer a day or two before I bury the whole mess. Insurance for spring planting. Thanks also for the tip on spraying a antidessicant on my potted evergreens. Yes, that potted evergreen person and I are are one in the same. I did find the pots to be expensive but the alternative may result in dead evergreens; far more expensive in the long run. Thanks again Newt. I'll visit the site often and write when I find myself in need of an expert green thumb (even if it is tiny one)
Dawn

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company

advertisement

adsl-068-016-191-074.sip.sdf.bellsouth.net at 68.16.191.74