HELP - caterpillars driving me crazy!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]

Posted by Ren on July 31, 2003 at 19:48:25:

It started with my geraniums but now they are attacking other plants as well. They are small (some only 1/4 inch long, others up to about an inch) and have just about decimated my plants. I keep reading that you need to find them visually then pluck them off of the plant to kill them. Well, they're virtually impossible to find (nature's camouflage works wonderfully well for them!), and even if I do find a few I know there are still many more I'm not finding, thanks to the little piles of "poop" I regularly find.

I'm trying to avoid anything like Diazanon spray (which oftentimes kills the plant as well) because it's so toxic. I've recently heard of Dipel - will this work? Is there anything I can put into my watering mix that would make the plant distasteful to caterpillars?

I'd like to say that the butterflies these pests generate make up for the problems I'm having, but they seem to hatch and go elsewhere and I never see them until they return to lay eggs and generate more of the abominable caterpillars!!! HELP!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener General Message Board ]
WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company

advertisement
pool0244.cvx38-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net at 216.244.30.244

Popular Pages