This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fabric containers

[align=left]I recently found on the net some fabric type container for above ground gardening. Does anyone have any experience with these....? I wanted to use them for my tomatoes and green peppers for next year? Any help would be appreciated. [/align]

Hi Cdjackson,

Never heard of a fabric container for plants.* Maybe you mean peat pots or those compressed paper types?* Got a link to what you found?

Newt

Comment

[align=left]no they are fabric as far as I can tell. Here is the link[/align]
      [align=left]www.smartpots.net[/align]
      [align=left]*[/align]
      [align=left]The website states that they work well for what I am wanting to do*(imagine that....lol) I was just curious to talk to someone who has actually used something like these.[/align]

Comment

There are several different types.* I know many nursery growers of trees use them and seem to like them.

Newt

Comment

[align=left]thank you, I think I am going to order them and try them out....I'll let you know next year*[/align]

Comment

You are very welcome!* I'd love to know how they do for you and what you grow in them.

Newt

Comment

[align=left]Hi...[/align]
              [align=left]I saw the tail-end of a commercial for something like this only you put water and a plant in it and turned it upside down. There's a new idea! Upside down tomato plants![/align]
              [align=left]Have you seen any of these?[/align]
              [align=left]Thanks![/align]
              [align=left]Jude[/align]

Comment

Jude, is this what you are looking for?
                http://www.shopmgk.com/topsyshop
                http://backyardgardener.com/gp/Garde...mato_Tree.html

Newt

Comment

What I'm talking about is a little different, jude.

I got them in, will be planting them up in a week or so, we'll see how this non green thumb gardener does.

Comment

Cdjackson, good luck with them.* I hope you post pictures as they grow for all to see.

Newt

Comment

I have extensive experience using both woven and non-woven bags for growing just about anything. They are ok I guess but the difficulty is anchoring them and keeping them upright in windy conditions. They have a tendency to sag due to the lak of support on the side wall. However, there is another option that seems better for most gardening where space is limited.* reinforced coir containers that are designed for limited spaces. These are ideal for trees, shrubs, vegetables, herbs and flowers.

They have been very successful and last for years in the full sunlight. They need less water as the coir retains the moisture and nutrients in the side and bottom areas. They do not develope hot spots and insulate well.
                      The only caution I would add is that you must be ready for the shear volume of mature fruit these containers yield. Also, be sure to put them where you want them or place them on a flat dolly or else they may be too heavy to move when wet.

Comment

Hi, Read your post on container gardeners.* I live in an apartment and have very little room for a garden.* I love my veggies and herbs.* I bought myself a "limited space garden"* It is wonderful.* Plus I enjoy the fact it is eco-friendly.* Hope this helps:)

Comment

Working...
                        X