Grape Hyacinth and other spring bulbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Methos,

I hope you had a great summer.* I knew what your question would be as soon as you said you had one more about grape hyacinths.* Yes, it's normal for the leaves to sprout at the end of summer.* They will disappear and sprout again next spring.* One thing I like about them doing that is I get to see where new ones have sprouted and can move them before winter.** :)

Newt

Comment

[align=left]oooh, jumping in here, sorry.* does one have to move grape hyacinths then?* or can i leave them in the ground?* i have some with which i am delighted (well, did, unless the slugs have abseiled over the fence and had 'em) and wanted them to naturalise.[/align]
      [align=left]*[/align]
      [align=left]sama[/align]

Comment

Thanks Newt.* Your replies are always appreciated.**Mine tend to keep their leaves throughout the winter and then bloom in spring.* Makes some nice greenery throughout the winter!!

Comment

Sama,* you don't have to move them then.* I just mentioned it because they aren't going to be blooming soon and it would be a good time if you wanted to move them.* They can be moved after bloom as well, but the foilage will need to feed the bulbs for the next years bloom.

Methos,* you are so very welcome!* Wow, yours keep their leaves all winter.* You must be in a warmer zone then I am here in Maryland.* Did you know there's a white variety?* I have a few but they don't seem to spread like the purple ones.

Newt

Comment

[align=left]oh good grief!* what do i have to do, newt?* invite them to dinner?* i am a total rookie now - forgotten everything i knew about gardening, after so long without one![/align]
            [align=left]how do you mean the foliage will feed the blooms?* it sounds like a visit to the zoo![/align]
            [align=left]sama[/align]

Comment

Sama, you won't have to put out your best china and linens!* * The leaves make food for the bulb so it can flower again.* That's why you should let the leaves of bulbs turn yellow before you remove them.* :)

Newt

Comment

[align=left]aaah, thank you newt!* thank goodness one of us knows what we're doing![/align]
                [align=left]sama[/align]

Comment

Sama, you are so very welcome!* You're doing just fine.* :)*

Newt

Comment

Working...
                  X