No announcement yet.

Raised beds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure relieved I didn't make you mad! :-) Even if the sides do pop - and I hope they don't - you will still be able to save the topsoil - or most of it anyway. Our sandy loam is so easy to dig that I forget that many people have to deal with ground that's hard as a rock. Despite your wet weather, perhaps your climate isn't hot enough to support all the wood-eating organisms we have to deal with. We have every nasty critter there is - 4-legged, 6-legged and no-legged. Oh yeah, 2-legged also - crows are a constant battle. Can't plant watermelons at all because of them! My 22 acres borders on a 4800 acre hunting club and I had to spend thousands on fences to keep their blasted deer out of my garden areas! We have leaf-cutter ants that, if not controlled chemically, will strip an entire patch of okra clean of foliage in a single night!

That's why my 15-year struggle to garden organically, from 1980 to 1995, failed completely. My neighbors all laughed at me. I finally grew weary of their harvesting loads of beautiful vegetables with Triple 13 and Sevin dust while I managed only a few bug-eaten, ugly ones - and that was in the best years! So, "if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em." I could tell ya a lot of funny, and some not-so-funny, stories about all that. I'm 74 years old and have gardened all my life. I might have done better if I had had access to all the internet info we have at our fingertips nowadays. All I had was Rodale's magazine and that was mostly northern-oriented.

For future reference, there is a lot to be said for cement blocks as an alternative for those who don't like treated lumber. The worst part of that job is digging a level trench for the first layer to sit on - and handling those heavy bags of Stacrete to fill them with isn't too much fun either! :-)

Looking forward to seeing how your new garden goes. I'm in the process of planting tomato seeds in flats - we plant them on 3/15 here.

Best of luck!

Jack

Comment

Jack - I am too old to worry about what is said in forums or blogs unless they are actually flaming...... I have decided to compromise this year by removing the top board on the front (long side) for a number of reasons, the most important is the cost of bringing in that much soil. I will bring in high end soil tho, as I now have no reason to layer it. I will keep the other boards and in the future add them, if I decide. Otherwise there are the replacements for when the others rot out. I am going to leave the sides 2' tall to help protect my plants from the drying and damaging winds we sometimes get.

Thanks again for your concerns, and do not be concerned that I will get upset and STOP posting. This is a free Country and forum. If I feel attacked, I will simply ask the administrator to close the thread. We all need to understand that criticism/concerns/suggestions should not be taken personally......

Have a great week.

PS I do not use any pesticides because in the past, they still got their fair share anyway. And if I am concerned about the treated wood, why would I ask you or me to ingest POISON? Does not make sense. I use safer soap products, or an equal brand, even on my roses. I did not use any slug/snail bait last year in my containers, but may be forced to find an organic treatment for them as the beds will be huge. If I had opossums, they would take care of them.....

randy

Comment

I could send you some possoms - but I don't think they'd be very happy in your climate LOL - they'd dig tunnels under your house foundation, Very damaging critters, but the dogs kill them and eat them. What I need I is an Anteater to eat these leaf-cutter ants.LOL

Jack

Comment

We have plenty here, just none here where I live......

Comment

Well, I'll be! I had no idea possums ranged up into that country. Always thought they were just inthe South. Learn sumthin' every day.

Jack

Comment

I keep trying to get to this, but you guys are providing the inspiration. Maybe this year! Here's a link I found in my research that might help. I'm just not sure how much space I have to devote to this.Guess I'm afraid of taking on too much the first year.

Bigger And Better Vegetables

Comment

Thanks Allison

Even tho the picture did not show up on the link I appreciate all the help I can get. Always like aditional info. As you have probably seen, I am down scaling a bit because of money, and the potential weight of the dirt.

Comment

Hey all from the driveway to the raised beds in the back yard. I said I would keep an update going, so here it is. Nearly 12 wheelbarrow loads in each raised bed. 6 yards of soil.....I am so sore :)

Hope you enjoy.............

more beds.JPGbeds with soil.JPGpile.JPG

Comment

wow 6 yards... i thought three was bad. it's good feeling when you finish isn't it?

this is my first year to have an official garden. i made three raised beds with 2x10 (treated). it's been a great experience thus far, but we'll see how the rest of the season goes. good luck with yours!

Comment

Thanks

I ordered Onion and Leek plants and have them planted as we speak. I planted 4 short rows of carrots about 2 weks ago, but they have not popped yet, so not sure what to think about that. The lettuce I planted at the same time has just now started to show themselves. I know I am a bit antsy, so maybe the carrots will still come up.

My tomato and pepper plants are not due until mid to late May, so by then, the waether and soild should be a lot warmer.

Good luck with yours

randyD

Comment

Raised beds are the best. The dirt warms quicker, you can plant more in less space. Last but not least in general they are way easier to keep ahead of the weeds n such...
                        ;)
                        Winddancer

Comment

Those are beautiiful beds. you will be able to grow a wonderful garden in those!
                          Be sure to post more picctures as they are planted and growing
                          which direction do they face?
                          K

Comment

The length of the beds runs North-South. My carrots finally popped, but because it is so cool, the lettuce is pretty stagnant. I will take more pics when I get more things planted.

Comment

Dear B,
                              Just had an idea after looking at the design of your beds. If you rigged up a glass "lid" out of an old patio door or somethiing you could use those beds as cold frames for very early starts of lettuce ,etc. Maybe somethiing to consider for next year> That would be fun and would enable you to start a few things even earlier.
                              As long as the "lid" is removable, you can use them as usual with the lid off once spring has sprung. You would get a nice headstart and have the first lettuce in your neighborhood I bet,
                              K
                              Last edited by KarenZone3A; 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Yes.... Next year, if I am back to work, I am plannig on replacing all my windows in the house, and will have "cold frames" as well as raiswd beds.

Comment

Working...
                                X