Unusual Plant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Plant

A friend of mine gave me this plant*when it was about 2 inches tall. It grows very slowly. I've had it for almost 4 years now and it's approximately 12" tall.

Every week it produces one or two small brown seeds. They look a lot like a peppercorn, but a little less round and smaller.*It hasn't produced any flowers and if a leaf breaks off, white milky fluid shoots out just like as if it had a pulse!

It's a very strange plant and I receive a lot of compliments*about it. Hopefully you can help me identify it!

Hi Jamie,

Can you post a picture of the entire plant and make it a little larger?

Newt

Comment

Here is another picture of it...

Comment

And another...

Thanks for trying to help me out with this!

Comment

Almost looks like a plumeria, but the stem appears to be different.
          It's not very visible in the picture.

Maren

Comment

Jamie, I'm sorry I never got back to you.* I searched for a long time and couldn't figure out what it is.* I'm thinking it might be some sort of caudiform, but I couldn't find a match.* I would suggest you ask the folks at the University of British Columbia Botanical Gardens.* They have always come through for me and others.* Do be sure to let them know where you live as they are in Canada.* Here's their main page so you can read the rules and faq's.
            http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/index.php

Here is where you should post your question in the Indoor Plants Identification forum.
            http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/fo...play.php?f=118

I'd love to know what they tell you it is.
            Newt

Comment

Thank*you for your help! I'll be sure to contact them.

If you would like a couple of seeds let me know and I will send them to you.

If I find out what kind of plant it is I will post the information. It does look a lot like a plumeria, but since the stem is different and it has never produced flowers I think it is something else.

Comment

Jamie, sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but it does produce flowers.* Look at the last picture.* Those are the flowers along the trunk of the plant.* :shock:** I suspect the fuzzy stuff you see are the male flowers and the female flowers appear where the leaf shaft meets the trunk of the plant.* I forgot to mention that to you before.* When you post at UBC Botanical Gardens, ask them if those are the flowers.

Newt

Comment

Working...
                X