Transplanting Cactus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transplanting Cactus

When and how should you transplant a cactus? What type of soil do you put it in, and how much bigger of a pot?

--docgreenthumb

Cactus Transplants

hello docgreenthumb,

If the cactus is growing outdoors,
    transplant now, before the weather turns cold.

If the cactus is growing indoors you can
    transplant just about anytime.

Use a slightly larger pot than the one the
    cactus is growing in now.
    I make my own potting mix, 50% sand
    and 50% mulch, it works for me and is
    much cheaper than the commercial
    cactus potting mixes.

Comment

What do you mean by mulch? Maybe compost or what type of mulch, i'm guessing not cyprus mulch or anything. How do you know when the cactus is ready to be repotted?

--docgreenthumb

Comment

how do you transplant a cactus without poking your hands??? lol and noone say very cafeully... really how do you?

Comment

Take two pieces of cardboard, and shove them to the spines on the cactus then you don't have to worry bout hurting yourself, or maybe get a pair of leather gloves, thats kind of my plan or just tough it out, lol!!!

--docgreenthumb

Comment

Transplanting Cacti

It was asked how to handle Cacti while transplanting so as to avoid being injured by the little stickers on the cacti. For what its worth I use a pair of kitchen tongs I bought especially for that purpose. They are used to Hold the cacti while transplanting . They do not damage the Cacti and you avoid the "stickers". :D

Comment

Mulch

Originally posted by docgreenthumb
              What do you mean by mulch? Maybe compost or what type of mulch, i'm guessing not cyprus mulch or anything. How do you know when the cactus is ready to be repotted?

--docgreenthumb
              Hi doc,
              By mulch, I mean any well composted organic material.
              Also called compost. I get mine from a local landscape
              materials company by the truckload.

Cactus need to be repotted when they are too large
              for the pot they are growing in, or if you see roots
              trying to grow out of the drain holes in the bottom
              of the pot.

Comment

I have a cactus that I recently replanted, it's not doing so well. I'm not the smartest when it comes to plants. After transplanting it, it is real loose in the pot. I was just wondering, what can I do before it dies. A cactus is very important to me. Every year I knew my grandmother on her birthday i would buy her a cactus and after she passed away i kept the tradition going except i bought the cactus myself and it seems like everytime i replanted it, they die on me. also how can i transplant the babies?? someone please help me, i'm so clueless....

Comment

Hi Clueless,

You don't say what size pot it came out of and what size you put it in, but the new pot should be 2" larger then the one it came out of. Also, was it rootbound and ready for a new pot? Cactus don't mind being rootbound and usually prefer it.* Hopefully you used a clay pot as they don't retain as much moisture as a plastic or ceramic pot.* If all of those conditions have been met, it sounds like you need to gently press on the soil to settle it in.* Watering should also help.*

Newt

Comment

Newt
                    hello, i had replanted it in a ceramic one i believe. and the size was a normal size one, i'm not sure what the size was, and i took it out of the extra large pot i put it in and placed it into one just a few sizes bigger than the one it came in. it was in the one it came in for about a year maybe more, and well i don't know. because i think it's dead!

Comment

Clueless, it might be a good idea to read up on how to care for and transplant cactus.* There are many books in the library that should be helpful.* When you measure a pot for size so you know what the next size you will need, you can measure from top to bottom.* For a novice I would suggest you use potting soil labeled for cactus.* It won't pack down and will drain better.* Use clay pots that aren't glazed.* Most folks tend to overwater their plants and that is very easy to do with a cactus.*

Since you say it was in the pot you purchased it in for a year, did the roots fill the entire pot when you took it out to transplant?* This isn't a cactus, but does show what a rootbound rootball looks like.* Did the roots look anything like this?

Can you post a picture?

Newt

Comment

I honestly do know if i can attach pictures. if you walk me through it or message me on my yahoo messenger sometime when i am on, i will send you a picture. um the root looked nothing like that.

Comment

Clueless, to post a picture click on 'Browse' at the bottom of the reply box.* Locate the picture in your computer and click on 'open' or whatever the prompt is for your computer.

Newt

Comment

what do you want a picture of the dead one or the alive one?

Comment

Clueless, whichever one you want help with.* If you want to know what happened to the dead one then post that with a description of what you did and what happened.*

If you want help with the live one, post that with a description of what is going on and what you have done and what is the question.*

By now I'm a bit confused.* :?

I'm leaving this afternoon for a few days and will try and help when I return on Tuesday or Wednesday.* In the meantime maybe someone else will come along and be able to help.

Newt

Comment

Working...
                              X