lucky bamboo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lucky bamboo

I have a Lucky bambo that i had to split off of the other part because it was growing quickly and , so the other night i noticed the top was totally yellow and the leaves looked bad ! I also have a aloe plant , which my grandmother gave me , which is doing well so far ! I try to keep them all watered and in the* sun at my window in the bathroom , i check on them each night ! Any ideas for the bamboo that looks sad ? :?

Hi Luckybamboo,

Your lucky bamboo isn't a bamboo at all but Dracaena sanderiana.* It's turning yellow because you probably have it in water.
    http://www.plant-care.com/lucky-bamboo.html

It's meant to grow in soil and once rooted, should be watered when the top 2" of soil is dry.* It prefers a bright spot out of direct sun.
    http://mgonline.com/luckybamboo.html

Give your aloe sun and let the soil dry before watering.

Newt

Comment

I have both of them in water with rocks! guess they need to get out of sun and into dirt and soil.

Comment

You have the aloe in water?* That will cause rot.
        http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/aloe.html

Newt

Comment

No , I have the aloe in dirt ! its ok ! Was refering to the other bamboo ! The other one is looking so well i dont want it to die ! I have them both out of the sun !

Comment

Whew!* * Glad to hear the aloe is in soil.*

Newt

Comment

Just added some soil to the one lucky bamboo , now i have one left to go! So it doesnt require water at all?

Comment

Water your lucky bamboo as you would any Dracaena - when the top 2" of soil is dry.* If the root system is small you may need to water a little more often until the roots grow larger.

Newt

Comment

ok , so do as the same like i am the aloe* plant just water every other day ?

Comment

It would be impossible for me to say how often to water.* That depends on the type of pot you use (clay pots dry out faster then ceramic or plastic as they are porous), the more sun the pot gets the more quickly it will dry and the larger the root system the more often you will need to water.* It's best to water plants as they need it, not necessarily on a schedule unless you know your plants well.* Succulents like Aloe don't need as much water as plants that are not succulent as they retain water in ther leaves and stems.* Knowing the needs of the particular plant is what will determine how often you water.*

Newt

Comment

I was just wondering if i could cut back the yellow spots in the top / corner of my bamboo and let it start over ?* It looks so rough ?* Would it hurt it or should i leave it alone ?

Comment

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.* Do you mean cut the leaf where it's yellow?* If so, yes you can, but the leaf will probably continue to yellow and you will eventually need to remove it.

Newt

Comment

This one is a bamboo that i split off so it could grow better , and the yellow area is at the top where that grows out into a flower , thats what* I wanted to trim off was the that part ! But wondering if its just dead now !* Looking more yellow :(

Comment

I think I understand you, but I'm a bit confused by you saying it grows out to a flower.* If you are saying you have a stem/stalk that you are trying to root and it's yellow at the top and you want to cut it shorter, go ahead.* Cut it just above where there was a leaf.

Newt

Comment

Ok* the stalk is goin way down hill , more than half is is yellow , but the other part is ok ! Anyway wondering if i should keep this part of the stalk or see what it does ! What do u think?

Comment

Working...
                              X