Dracaena Fragrans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[align=left]Hi!

Well, today I found a new critter, and this time I think it might be a spider mite. Ewww. Under the microscope, I could see what looked like a round-shaped body and probably 8 leggs. I found it when I grabbed the dandelion-seed looking thing on my plant... I noticed the critter on it...so maybe these mites make a different kind of webbing? (looks like this ). It does have a webbing feel, though... it sticks to everything that touches it... Insecticidal soap is on it's way![/align]

Comment

Julie, gosh, I'm stumped.* Spider mites come in different colors and are tiny specs unless you look at them under a microscope like you did.* They look like this.
      http://woodypest.ifas.ufl.edu/mites.htm

Maybe what you saw what their web or something that got caught in their web.*

Newt

Comment

Hum... yeah, it kinda looked like those. It's definelty not the two-spotted kind (didn't have 2 spots) but it's similar in shape. The webbing is what makes me have second thoughts, because, as I said, the webs don't look like the pictures I usually find online (doesn't look like a web that much, more like dandelion seeds or lint)... I think it must be spider mites, though... no other reason I would have found such a tiny spider-looking bug in something that really sticks & feels like a spiderweb...

Comment

the soapy water should help with spider mites too, if it's those.

Aloha,
          Maren

Comment

Hi all...

Well this is my input of Dracaena Fragrans.* Having grow up in Malaysia, Dracaena F. is not foreign at all.* Having said that, not alot of people would know what to do with the plant and after reading this discussion, it does happen to us too.* Some blame the sun of being too strong or not enough lights, pests and even superstitious belief that the plant is blocking the way of "it".

Well from experience, well drain soil (my grandfather use to mix the soil with woodchips and rock granules - 5 soil, 1 woodchip, 1 rock granules ratio), position (once position the plant try not to move around to different location because*the plant*would need to learn to adjust it light intake in new setting), leaf trimming - when leaves start to brown at the tip and spliting occurs cut the leaves across (1/3 from leaf tip), and using pests to*control pests (in Malaysia eveyhousehold would have house geeko, they actually feeds on little insects - mites and mozzy etc...) and sometimes they hid around the leaves of the Dracaena to feed of little insects.* The Dracaena that my family got at home comes from the one that my grandfather look after 60 years ago - we keep cutting the plant down for new cultivation and use the same method that my grandfather used.

Now that I have migrated to Melbourne, Australia I keep doing the same thing with exception that the geekos are replaced by huntsman spider (familiar spider to US and Canada - they are good spider because they do keep mites and smaller spiders at bay. please be kind to the huntsman and i know they looks horrible but trust me they*are miracles to indoor plants. We just have to clean up the webs!)*and once a month water with "Seasol Seaweed Concentrate" - it is NOT a fertilizer but a health booster to plants and gardens especially in establishing new growth and strong rooting system.* Hope you can fine some similar products at your end.

Good luck and hope grandfather way helps

From*land down under*- Kenny

Comment

Hi Kenny,

I loved your story about dracaena.* That was wonderful.* Here in the US we do have lizards, but only in the southern areas like Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico and Southern California.*

We also have seaweed available as a fertilizer.* I like to mix it with fish emulsion.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and good luck in your new country.

Newt

Comment

Working...
              X